initial rationale (14/01/10)

For the basis of my FMP I am going to focus largely on innovative packaging design and print of my subjects, themes, concepts and ideas. By having the final concept revolving around a finished packaged resolution, it will build a strong consistent portfolio, which I can then produce when targeting specific designers for employment. It will also ensure that my briefs have a consistent flow and relevance to one another. Coming from this I will hopefully see a strong progression in my understanding, craft skills and knowledge of the specific subject, which I will benefit from when seeking future internships or jobs.
I also intend to investigate paper stocks and their usage and relevance when designing packaging. By understanding paper stocks this will then further my investigation and contribute to learning about folds, and how the paper handles and also printing methods such as foiling, embossing and die cutting. Understanding elements such as these will broaden my design process and ideas in terms of how I can develop a final resolution to a professional quality and finish.
Aswell as just standard printing methods as laser or ink jet, I intend to develop my skills and understanding of screen-printing. By doing so I believe it will broaden the size of my work instead of sticking to what I can fit through a standard printer, and also then colours in which I can use and how I can use them to produce my resolutions. It will also allow me to print on a range of objects that may contribute to the brief at hand, i.e. plastics, t-shirts, glass, and metals.